- Posted by Claire Thomas
- On 15th September 2016
- 0 Comments
Surrey Heritage bring their biggest event of the year to Lingfield & Dormansland Community Centre on Saturday 8th October between 12 noon and 4pm. The showcase brings together not only the experts and amazing resources held at Surrey History Centre, but also local organisations and societies to showcase the heritage of the area, all for free!
Highlights for the day:
- Discover all there is to know about the work Surrey Heritage does, from current projects to outreach activities
- Displays from the County’s archive – showcasing documents, photographs, illustrations and more relating to the local area held at Surrey History Centre
- A number of free talks including: ‘Fashion and Folly’ – it may surprise you to know just how dangerous our ancestors’ clothes and makeup were and the extraordinary lengths they were prepared to go to just be al la mode
- Free children’s activities including mini archaeology digs, historic dress up and arts and crafts fun
- Family history advice and help with dating old photos
- Find out more about our Heritage Lottery Funded World War One project ‘Surrey in the Great War: A County Remembers, and how to get involved
- Surrey Heritage experts in conservation and archives will be offering FREE practical, professional advice on how to store and preserve your items. Books, letters, documents, maps, photographs are all welcome!
- Bring along anything archaeological you may have found – such as flints, pottery or coins. You may have found them by using a metal detector, while out walking or while gardening. Surrey’s Finds Liaison Officer, who works for the British Museum’s Portable Antiquities Scheme, will be present and will be able to identify and record your finds.
- Learn about Surrey’s 43 Museums and galleries
- Map the local area with the Historical Environment Record.
- Partner stands: RH7 History Group, East Surrey Family History Society Lingfield Library & The Hayward Memorial Local History Centre, Felbridge and District Local History Group, Surrey Record Society, West Surrey Family History Society, Surrey Archaeological Society, Surrey Gardens Trust.
For more information on the Surrey History Centre click here